Working safely at all times
With our DIN EN 9001:2015 compliant quality management system, voluntary product inspections such as the GS ‘tested safety’ mark or type testing, and the certified ‘Made in Germany’ proof of origin, we guarantee that our ladders and step stools are safe on delivery and grant a warranty of 15 years.
To ensure that you are always safe when working with and on ladders, we recommend an annual inspection of your ladder. Here you will find tips and advice on what is important when you inspect your ladder.
Why you should inspect ladders
Regular visual and functional inspection of ladders, step stools and other access equipment is important – in both private and professional environments:
- More safety at the workplace / when using the ladder
- Accident prevention
- Required for employers in Germany in accordance with the Ordinance on Industrial Health and Safety (BetrSichV) and German Social Accident Insurance Information 208-016 (DGUV)
- In professional use by a person qualified to carry out inspections
- In addition to the recurring safety inspection, we generally recommend regular maintenance of ladders
How often should ladders be inspected?
- In Germany, the Ordinance on Industrial Health and Safety (BetrSichV) requires periodic inspections by a person qualified to carry out inspections
- We recommend at least once a year
- The exact intervals between ladder inspections depend on the respective operating conditions (frequency and intensity of use) as well as on the frequency and severity of defects found in previous inspections
- The intervals are determined on the basis of a risk assessment, which must be prepared individually by each company
How to inspect a ladder properly
- Employer appoints a person qualified to carry out the inspection
- Ladder inspection according to checklist
- Organisational inspection (stock-take): which types of ladders or step stools are used in the company and where?
- Technical inspection (condition inspection): visual and functional inspection to determine safe working condition
- Clear and complete documentation of the inspection with date, name and signature of the person authorised to carry out the inspection
Inspection failed: repair or replace?
Persons with sufficient technical knowledge and skills can carry out minor repair work on ladders and step stools:
- Replace ladder shoe
- Replace base plate on the nivello® ladder shoe
- Replace stabiliser
- Replace storage tray on step ladders
- Shorten ladder (e.g. remove damaged ends)
- Replace strap
- Replace castors
- Double-sided step ladder: replace top step and hinge
- Change locking pin on a rigid connection
- Change rigid connection and bearing pins
- Rope-extension ladder: replace rope
All repairs carried out must be documented and noted in the ladder inspection sheet. Repairs and maintenance work on the ladder must be carried out professionally (BetrSichV §10 (2)) and checked by a person qualified to carry out the inspection. In case of doubt, ladders should be repaired by specialist companies or the manufacturer. All ladders and step stool can be repaired quickly and professionally by our qualified experts in our Günzburg factory after consultation.
We’ll show you how it’s done
Become a professional in ladder inspections: in our seminars, you will learn everything important in theory and practice to be able to safely and responsibly inspect your ladders or the access equipment used in your company as a person qualified to carry out inspections.